Holiday Accommodation in Edenvale

Displaying records 1 to 4 of 4 found
 Place

Nearest Town

Category




Stay-a-while Guest House      EdenvaleGuest House
Stay-A-While Guest House offers self-catering or bed and breakfast suites, situated in a quiet residential suburb, within 10km of OR Tambo International Airport. Each suite has private access and secure parking and is set in lush green gardens with a swimming pool and prolific bird life. We have...




Cosy Den B&B Luxury Guest House Style EdenvaleBed & Breakfast
Located in the largest man-made forest in the world. 5 luxury Suites opening onto a beautiful and tranquil garden 10 min from the City & JHB Into Airport towards East Gate, Totally out of the flight path (no aircraft noise) in a safe, gated, limited access, patrolled estate. With easy access to fre...

Neder-port Guest House EdenvaleBed & Breakfast
Newington Guest House      EdenvaleSelf-catering

Edenvale
 
Edenvale was named after John Eden, the part owner of the original farm called Rietfontein. It came into being as a town after the Anglo Boer war, when stands that had been demarcated and surveyed were sold to the Cornish miners employed at Rietfontein mine. The population increased when the nearby farms of Modderfontein and Klipfontein were sold to build a dynamite factory and workers for this factory were imported from Austria, Germany and Italy.

Miners' strikes, which had affected all the mines, also had economic consequences for Edenvale. Striking miners were arrested and imprisoned, leading to much hardship amongst the miners' families. This in turn affected the shops and businesses and many suffered losses. This tragic time of unrest was aggravated further by the closure of Rietfontein mine.

Edenvale continued as a rural village until the 1930's when electricity and water became more available, spawning an increase in industrial activity. With this increase and the need for more labour in the railway workshops at Kempton Park, the small black townships on the edge of Edenvale began to be overcrowded. Added to this was the extra labour needed when Jan Smuts Airport and Kelvin power station opened nearby, further contributing to the mushrooming of informal settlements.

The policy of the government in 1948 forced the removal of the black families to township areas and thus the search to find a piece of land on which to build a bigger settlement, which could house everyone, was started. Planning was initiated in 1950 and a piece of land was purchased in 1956. Shortly afterwards the first two hundred families settled in the area now known as Tembisa. After the 1995 local government elections, Modderfontein, Tembisa West, Phomolong, Mayibuye, Klipfontein View, Chloorkop and Rabie Ridge extensions were amalgamated enabling them once again to be part of Edenvale.

The name of the entire area then became Lethabong, which means "place of happiness," a place where people could live in a spirit of understanding, goodwill and co-operation.