Holiday Accommodation in Montagu

Displaying records 1 to 31 of 31 found
 Place

Nearest Town

Category




Mimosa Lodge      MontaguGuest House
Situated in Montagu, the heart of Route 62, and just two hours from Cape Town, Mimosa Lodge is the perfect stop on the scenic route between Cape Town, Oudtshoorn and the Garden Route. The Lodge is a delightful retreat with an enviable reputation for personal attenti...




Four Oaks Restaurant and B&B      MontaguBed & Breakfast
Set in the picturesque village of Montagu, Four Oaks Guesthosue and Templeton's restaurant is housed in a historical building dated 1855. the thatch roofed building offers 4 luxury en-suite rooms with air conditioning, satelite TV, DVD players and selection of DVD's. tea station and private entrance...




Keisie Cottages MontaguSelf-catering
Self-catering cottages on a fruit farm in the beautiful Keisie valley 24 kms outside Montagu. The cottages are renovated farm cottages and have huge fireplaces, carpets, bedding included, braai facilities etc. All have bathrooms with showers and Gooseberry House also has a bath and more spacious l...




Malherbe Guesthouse      MontaguGuest House
Owners Joop and Micky warmly welcome guests to their Cape Dutch style guesthouse / B&B / accommodation in Montagu, South Africa. Malherbe guesthouse is a National Monument and was built in 1859. The house has been lovingly restored and offers 5 en-suite rooms, 4 with private entrance and patio or...




Montagu Vines      MontaguBed & Breakfast
Montagu Vines is a top 4* guest house, situated in the historic conservation area of Montagu, on the world famous "Route 62". Campbell and Ursula Blamey, proud South African owners and managers of this award winning guest house, offer guests a taste of old-fashioned service, comfort and luxury in on...


Montagu Rose      MontaguGuest House
Gracious double storey house from the 1930's, established as a Geust House in 1988.Currently run and owned by Dr Ben and Dr Deoni van Rensburg.All rooms are en suite, facility overall star rating is three star from the Tourism Grading Council.A lavish full brakfast four course breakfast included in ...




Prestons Self Catering Accommodation MontaguSelf-catering
Centrally situated in one of the town's declared, character thatched "Cape Dutch" properties; within walking distance to most amenities (shops and restaurants). Private front and back entrance. ...

7 Church Street B&B      MontaguGuest House
Airlies Guest House MontaguBed & Breakfast
Avalon Springs Self Catering      MontaguSelf-catering
Beau Vallon Cottage MontaguSelf-catering
Blommenhuis MontaguBed & Breakfast
Bloupunt Winery MontaguSelf-catering
De Bos Guest Farm MontaguBed & Breakfast
Drie Berge Country Guest House MontaguBed & Breakfast
Goedemoed Farm Cottage MontaguSelf-catering
John Montagu - Victorian Guest House      MontaguGuest House


Kingna Lodge      MontaguHotel / Lodge
Koo-karoo B&B MontaguBed & Breakfast
Montagu Country Hotel      MontaguHotel / Lodge
Montagu Springs Holiday Resort MontaguSelf-catering
Monteco Nature Reserve MontaguHotel / Lodge
Orion Lodge B MontaguBed & Breakfast
Protea Farm MontaguBed & Breakfast
Rainbow Glen MontaguSelf-catering
Rietvlei Holiday Farm MontaguSelf-catering
Sanbona Wilife Reserve      MontaguHotel / Lodge
Simonskloof Mountain Retreat MontaguSelf-catering
Tafelkop Self Catering Cottages MontaguSelf-catering
The Oaks Guest Cottages MontaguSelf-catering
Waboom Mountain MontaguSelf-catering

Montagu

Montagu is the gateway to the Little Karoo and also the scenic heart of Route 62. This historic link between Cape Town, Oudtshoorn, the Garden Route and the Eastern Cape, offers travelers remarkable beauty and excellent facilities. All combining to make this one of the most memorable journeys in South Africa, winding through spectacular scenery and mountain passes. Some of the most famous wineries in the Western Cape are to be found along the way, making it one continuous wine route.

There are similarities between Route 62 and America's Route 66. Both were developed to link rural towns and villages to major centres and both were replaced by highways diverting traffic along more direct roads. Route 62 is now emerging from hibernation to delight the descerning tourist wanting to explore the best of the Western Cape.

Centrally situated between Cape Town and Oudtshoorn, Montagu, on Route 62, nestles in the western corner of Kannaland. A unique rural atmosphere distinguishes Montagu as one of the best preserved late Victorian agricultural villages in the Cape.

There is a variety of superb accommodation and excellent restaurants. As the mountain Mecca of the Western Cape, Montagu is the perfect base for exploring the surrounding countryside.

Montagu was founded in 1851 on the farm Uitvlucht, which had belonged to Pieter Swanepoel since 1841. The first erven were sold and the Dutch Reformed congregation was established.    
 
The village was named after John Montagu, then Colonial Secretary of the Cape, who traveled here to "baptise" the town. The ceremony took place on the erf situated at corner of Church and Long Street. Signed photographs of John Montagu may be viewed in the Montagu Museum and Library. Most of the erven were sold to colonists from the "Wagenmakersvallei" near Wellington from where building materials had to be lugged by ox wagon over Bain's Kloof to Montagu.

Most of our Cape Dutch thatched roof houses date from the years 1853 - 1870. It is generally accepted that Joubert House situated in Long Street, built in 1853, is the oldest house in Montagu. In 1983 it was restored to its former glory, and as a section of the Montagu Museum, it depicts the lifestyle of the late 19th century.   
 
Montagu, once known as "Agter Cogman's Kloof", lies between the Keisie and Kingna rivers which join at the western extremity of the town. In the 19th century the only exit to the West was through Cogmanskloof and during the passage through the Kloof the river had to be forded eight times! Strong teams of horses or oxen were required for the trip as carts and wagons were very often stranded in the Kloof.

A mail coach transported the post between Ashton and Montagu and its arrival an special days was always a great event. The old coach house is still in existence and is used as a dwelling house. After the tunnel, constructed by Thomas Bain, was completed in 1877, a decent road was built through Cogmanskloof and other roads soon followed. In 1931 the road through the Kloof was tarred, streets and the provision of electricity in the village soon followed.

Work on the Dutch Reformed Church, looking today much as it did then, built at a cost of 4490 pounds, commenced in May 1852; the first minister was Dr Servaas Hofmeyr, who was ordained 2 years previously: his salary was 300 pounds per annum!   
 
Education was not neglected, and Mr. Bernardus Keet was appointed as the first teacher in 1855, followed by Mr. George Euvrard. Dr Joseph Castle was the first resident medical doctor and with Dr Hofmeyr and Mr. Euvrard made the triumvirate, much revered and respected in the area.

Mr. WA Joubert was the first mayor of the newly-declared municipality in 1895, and within a few years water was laid on to every house in the town after having formally been carried from The mill. The authentic water mill from the farm "Meulplaas" in the district has been reconstructed neat the site of the original and forms part of the Eyssen House complex (Die Ou Meul). The latter is the birthplace of Stephan Eyssen, the first well-known composer of Afrikaans music and song.

The Montagu Museum in Long Street was officially opened in May 1975. It's theme in the History of Montagu and its people in all aspects and it contains collections on Africana well worth viewing and studying.

It is practically impossible to ascertain the exact date of the discovery of Montagu's hot mineral spring, but the manner of their discovery is as follows: In the very early days trekkers often followed the course of rivers, and, according to our archives, the wagon on one such nameless pioneer became stuck in the rocks of the river bed. In his efforts to free the wheels, the trekker's hand was so badly injured that his party was obliged to pitch camp in the vicinity of the present-day Montagu. They drank of the clear, strange-flavored water, found it wonderfully refreshing and traced its course through the Kloof where they discovered the hot spring. The injured hand, bathed frequently in the warm water, healed miraculously. News of the healing water was soon spread by word of mouth and as a result the sick and ailing visited the hot spring, sometimes from as far afield as 50 miles, which was a considerable distance to travel in those days.

The now-popular Montagu bath were originally part of the farm "Uitvlucht" but were sold for the first time in 1857, and have since been in the hands of various hands and bodies. At one time the property belonged to the old NCCR (New Cape Central Railways), also to Mr Jannie Marais, the benefactor of Stellenbosch University. Other owners were a Mr Fernandes (from Madeira) who gave the whole complex an exotic and literally colorful character. Mr Hugh Tevis, Australian millionaire, intended building a large imposing spa but wartime restrictions (1939 - 1945) dictated otherwise and he settled for building only "Little Sanctuary" as a holiday home. A Montagu hotelier, Mr Aaron Idelson followed, and the Montagu Municipality then took over, and the caravan park and public swimming pool were subsequently constructed.

On the 25th of January 1981, disaster struck Montagu in the form of a flood which swept away the entire Baths complex, stripped the Kloof of all vegetation (excepting 1 tree) and altered the course of the Keisie River to such an extent that the beautiful walking trail through the Kloof was completely obliterated and Lover's Walk destroyed. However, the Municipality investigated all venues until a developer was found who gave Montagu Springs its present new look, and reconstruction of the Hotel had already been commenced by a local hotelier.

Lover's Walk has been painstakingly been built up and spacious lawns now fringe the walk that, like before passes the beautiful cliffs, leads past Eyssen House (the Ou Meul) and through the Baths Kloof to the hot springs. Many trees have been planted, and the enchanting beauty of the most charming walk can once again be enjoyed.

The luxurious new Springs Hotel attracts hosts of tourists, including many from overseas and all are fascinated by the exquisite setting and most impressive beauty of the whole Baths project.

The Nature Garden was founded in 1954, and offers peace and total relaxation throughout the years, but in spring the vygies and other plants in bloom are an absolute delight.
 
Town info office:
24 Bath st Montagu 6720
Tel:+27 23 614 2471
Fax:+27 23 614 2471