Established in 1843 when the Dutch Reformed presbytery of Graaff-Reinet formed a new congregation for that area. A portion of the farm Driefontein was bought and "erven" were sold on 19 April 1845 during a communion gathering. The town was named after the father of Lady Sarah, wife of the then Governor of the Cape, Sir Peregrine Maitland, Duke of Richmond from Kent.
Tourist information: Loop Str, Richmond 7090. Tel: (053) 693-0001.
Activities and Attractions:
Anglo-Boer War Graves At the Deelfontein Station (approximately 54km on the dirt road to Britstown).
Hunting Van Zylskraal Tel: (0536912) ask for 1640.
Saddle Horse Museum Richmond is home to one of only two of its kind in the world.
Mailbox Dating from the reign of Queen Victoria. There are only three similar mailboxes in the country.