|Home to the family of the last Prime Minister of the Colony of Natal, Hartford House is situated on South Africaís most famous Thoroughbred farm near Giantís Castle.Chosen by the Rulers of Dubai as the location for their priceless stallions, the ďgem of the MidlandsĒ is remembered by chroniclers as one of the countryís most beautiful homes, with its award-winning gardens and acclaimed fine dining.|
Renowned for its stud tours and trout fishing as well as its proximity to the Midlandís Meander, Weenen and Drakensberg Game and Mountain reserves and Boschhoek Golf Estate, Hartford is the home of Good Conversation, Old Whiskey and Classic Horses.
Attractions / Things to do
|- Mountain Game and Nature Reserves |
- Zulu and Anglo-Boer War Battlefields
- Midlands Meander: Southern Africaís favourite Arts and Crafts, Pubs
†††and Restaurants route
- Day trip to the Artistís capital of South Africa, Clarens, and the Golden
†† Gate National Park
- Excellent Bushman paintings and artifacts
- Golf and Squash
- Picturesque drives and picnicking in the Ukhahlamba Drakensberg
†† World Heritage Park
- The world-renowned Drakensberg Boys Choir
- Close proximity to major schools and Colleges; Hilton, Michaelhouse,
† Treverton, Weston, Clifton, Kings, St Anneís, Cowan House etc
- Easy access from major cities and airports (just 4 hours from
† Johannesburg and 90 minutes from Durban)
|Services / Facilities|
|Our Award-winning Restaurant serves sumptuous breakfasts, lunches and dinners either overlooking the magnificent gardens or in the candle lit Dining Hall. Traditional Zulu dancers and singers perform on selected evenings.|
- Room service available 16 hours a day
- Laundry and valet service
- All major credit cards are accepted
- Fully equipped mini-Conference facility.
- Historic gardens and pre-arranged garden seminars
- Walks on the extensive Game Conservancy; several rare wild animal and bird species inhabit the estate
- Aircraft and helicopter landing facilities
- Airport transfers (Durban International and Oribi Airport, Pietermaritzburg)
- The historic Chapel provides for weddings, baptisms and memorial services
- Personalized Stud Farm Tour of Summerhill; SAís leading -- Thoroughbred Farm, includes stallions of the Rulers of Dubai
- Personal accompanied tours into the surrounding mountain, game and nature reserves by Hartford's resident guide
- Horse riding on expansive bridle paths and race tracks
- Trout and Bass fishing and a Fishermanís Clubhouse on the lakeside
- New Wellness House offers a range of massages, therapeutic treatments and sauna. Overlooks the pool
- Swimming Pool
|See Hartford House Rates |
|Follow the N3 highway to Mooi River. |
Take the Mooi River off-ramp from the N3.
Follow the Giantís Castle / Hartford House / Summerhill Stud signs through the village to the west in the direction of the Drakensberg.
Approximately 2kms from the outskirts of the village, turn left onto the Hlatikulu Road.
Travel 5km passing both entrances to Summerhill Stud before the right turn to Hartford House.
Follow the Hotel signs for 1,2km to Hartford House.
Click here for map